Being Wholesome in the Hunter Valley
For everyone: visitors and locals
Costs: Visiting is free, purchases by choice. There is much to learn about The Hunter Regional foods and wines with a focus on chemically reduced or chemical free production, or simple and traditional preparation methods. Seeking out these products is an expanding focus with the wider community and for visitors alike.
Here is a selection:
- Macquariedale Organic Wines – in the Around Hermitage area – organic, biodynamic, low preservative, vegan-friendly, natural wines. In 2005 Macquariedale Organic Wines became the first vineyard in the Hunter Valley to receive full Biodynamic Certification. Biodynamics takes organic and sustainability practises several steps further by improving the soil. https://www.macquariedale.com.au/
- Tamburlaine Wines – one of Australia’s largest producers of organic wines with vineyards in the Hunter Valley and Orange region which produce award-winning organic, vegan-friendly, low sulphur and no added sulphur wines. https://tamburlaine.com.au/
- Ascella Organic Wine – the largest certified organic vineyard in the Hunter Valley with their award winning wines in a pristine environment surrounded by National Parks. https://www.ascellawines.com.au/
Non animal rennet cheeses – can be sourced at:
- Binnorie Dairy https://www.binnorie.com.au/
- The Smelly Cheese Shop http://www.smellycheese.net.au/index.php
- Hunter Belle Cheeses https://www.hunterbellecheese.com.au
Raw Honey – Hunter Valley Hive at Hunter Valley Gardens.
Olives and Olive Oils – search Tintilla Estate www.tintilla.com.au ,Hunter Valley Olive Co, Pukara Estate and
Ciders, beers and spirits – some suggestions include Pokolbin Cider House,
Hunter Distillery – Certified organic distillery https://www.hunterdistillery.com.au/
Providores – distributors of Regional produce
- Two Fat Blokes Gourmet Kitchen – https://twofatblokes.com.au/deli/ Perfect for those wanting to buy local produce or create their own meal from a range of local and international delicacies.
- Hunters Dream Estate – https://www.huntersdream.com.au/produce/ Sourced exclusively from pure and ingredients grown on the estate or from like-minded producers, only the purest and highest quality foods make it into our selective stable and are able to display the Hunter’s Dream label.
- Wollombi Road Providores Cessnock Huge range of foods including organic and gluten free groceries https://www.touristdrive33.com.au/business/wollombi-road-providore/
- Laguna Village Providore Seasonal and local produce from around the Wollombi Valley available – honey, eggs, garlic, seasonal produce, and fresh flowers. Tar10, Hunter Valley Cheese Factory, The Market Grocer, Absolute Organic, Goose on the Loose, East Coast Juice just to name a few. https://www.visitwollombi.com.au/business/name/laguna-village-providore/
Local Markets – many wholefood selections including breads and vinegars etc as well as art and craft products and homewares: markets can also be found at Wollombi, Singleton, Broke.
Handmade in the Hunter Markets – https://handmadehuntermarkets.com.au/
Moore Farm located in Wollombi for locally grown seasonal produce – garlic, honey, kitchen preserves and free range pork. ‘We try to tread as lightly as we can on this earth and incorporate sustainable farming practices onto our farm.’ http://www.moorewollombigarlic.com.au/
Binnorie Dairy Cheeses
#aroundhermitage #huntervalley #discover
Authors: Robyn and Alan Valley View Cottage
©Around Hermitage Association